30 May 2008

Day Three: Swimming with the Fishes

On the third day, we attended a wedding. It was lovely, but it did mean we didn't go very many interesting places elsewhere on Oahu.



Beach of the day:

Hanauma Bay is a shallow, protected bay that started out as a crater. Nowadays it's a great place for snorkeling or scuba diving, or even just standing there looking into the crystal clear water from above. The snorkel gear they rent out is excellent. The reef grows nearly right up to shore. We saw lots of different kinds of fish, and also an enormous black sea cucumber, which looked like a giant fat worm resting on the bottom.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

First of all...have I mentioned how spectacular your dragons are looking?

Second, between you and Anne, I've got too many pretty pictures to look at. :D

Anonymous said...

I loved snorkeling at Hanauma Bay - it's a really pretty place to play in the water. I just wish it wasn't so crowded...

Thanks for sharing all these great pictures.

Anne C. said...

I've only gone snorkling once, but it was a heck of a lot of fun and I'd love to go again. I've heard really good things about the amount of sea life around the Hawaiian islands and look forward some day to snorkling/scuba diving around there!

Thanks so much for posting these lovely pictures, MWT!