07 January 2008

A weekend filled with weird, surreal dreams about rotten eggs and farts

It turns out that migraines and tinnitus are both much worse under conditions of carbon monoxide poisoning due to a gas leak from a poorly maintained heater. Also, none of the above are particularly conducive to complex thought.

But it's all better now. We hope. :)

11 comments:

Janiece Murphy said...

Yikes! I hope everyone's okay...you've mentioned before you live in an apartment building. Was the gas leak throughout the building, or just in your place?

Anne C. said...

I second Janiece's "yikes!"
Glad you're OK.

MWT said...

As far as I know it was just my apartment, but the complex manager tells me that all of them have heaters in bad shape, and they're trying to convince the higher-ups to get them all replaced.

I'm okay, and the heater is fixed up now.

Nathan said...

You soooo need a carbon monoxide detector. Glad everything's o.k.

Eric said...

Replaced heaters? A CO detector? Dude, you need to consider moving to a place that's not a "more-at-eleven" video clip waiting to happen. Sorry, not trying to knock your place--it may be perfect in every other respect, but that's some sorta-scary shit you're describing. Glad you're okay.

Jim Wright said...

they're trying to convince the higher-ups to get them all replaced

Uh, what? The fact that one of their tenets was gassed isn't enough?

I'm with Eric, move, sooner rather than later. Or hire a good lawyer and start making threats, seriously dude. And yeah, get a CO and CO2 detector, ASAP.

Jim Wright said...

Oh, and damned glad to hear you're OK. Should have said that first, I'm a clod sometimes.

Jim Wright said...

You know, I'd insist that the management provide CO and CO2 detector ASAP - really, MWT, explain to them that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than litigation.

MWT said...

There allegedly is a carbon monoxide detector in here, which they even check every month (I can tell because a little voice says "warning: carbon monoxide" when they press the button), but maybe it was waiting for the levels to go up more before it did anything... good point. I'll ask them about that. And for more info on the whole heater replacing thing.

jeri said...

That is QUITE scary! I'm glad you're ok. Good for you on pushing the CO2 monitor and replacement thing... this is a little more critical than a leaky faucet. :P

MWT said...

I got my CO detector replaced. Hopefully this new one will work better than the last one, which never made so much as a peep... And my heater is working perfectly now that they've fixed it, so I'll just have to pay more attention to its servicing schedule from now on.