18 March 2008

Lentil Chili

For the most part, I'm not a big fan of beans. I like some of them when they're made by a really good cook, but those are few and far between. When it comes to chili, I don't like any of the standard beans usually found in them - kidney, pinto, etc. So my version is a bit unconventional...



2 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
minced garlic
hot peppers (optional), diced
1 big can chopped or diced tomatoes (plain)
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 cup lentils, rinsed

2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste (leave out if there are hot peppers)

Brown ground beef. Mix in onions, green peppers, and any hot peppers. Mix in garlic. Mix in tomatoes. Add water and beef broth. Bring to boil. Add lentils and spices. Simmer 45 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Turn off heat and let stand cooling on the stove until it's at room temperature, then put in fridge overnight to let the flavors meld. Eat the next day.

8 comments:

Tom said...

Garlic and oregano in chili! NO! That's sacrilegious. You shouldn't even consider combining chili and cumino with garlic and orgeano in your mind, much less in your pot.

But then I use tomato sauce and kidney beans (as well as pintos) in my chili, and there are people who say that's just as bad, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

A pot of chili. That sounds like a great thing to have right about now.

Unknown said...

I like black beans in my chili, and corn too! Lentils is an excellent idea. Think I will try it.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.. I haven't made lentil soup in oh so long.

Lentils aren't supposed to be gas-inducing - but they are for me. :( I still like 'em though.

MWT said...

And yet Tom, that combination tastes oh so good. :)

You don't have to call the concoction "chili" if you don't want. Maybe go with "beef lentil soup" or something. ;)

I do like Cuban black beans. Hadn't thought of putting them into chili before... hmm.

Nathan said...

You come over to my blog and post a bunch of *tangerinial* things and then beg me to come show your dragons some love.

Dragons not loading.

No clicky click.

MWT said...

Thanks for trying. It turns out that the owner of those needy strays decided to freeze them to keep them from dying. The black was down to 0.08 days. They'll now stay hatchlings forever.

TroyBoy said...

If you are going with the black beans & corn, a version we make often, be sure to add fresh cilantro at the very end of cooking, and serve with lime wedges. And, of course, all chilli, regardless of the ingredients, should be served with shredded cheddar and sour cream as table condiments.

PS I know that I started visiting your blog a whjile back and then went MIA, it's good to be back here.

MWT said...

Hmmm... to my mind if it starts having all sorts of other veggies in it like corn, it's not really chili anymore. You could probably call it Southwest Soup instead. ;)

Welcome back, Troyboy. Good to see you again. :)