I hate memes. Have I mentioned how much I hate memes? Yes, yes I have. And yes I do. This is all ... someone's ... fault. *mutter*
1. Ever been in a relationship lasting over 5 years?
2. What was one of your dreams growing up?
To be a writer. That fell by the wayside in my teens when other people's dreams were forced on me, and then I fled those by going into science instead. Now I'm back to wanting to be a writer.
3. What talent do you wish you had?
Fast thinking. I'm very slow, the way Einstein was in school.
4. If I bought you a drink what would it be?
Some kind of soda.
5. Favorite books?
That's kind of a broad question...
As a kid, it was The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts.
As a teen, it was Strangers from the Sky by Margaret Wander Bonanno.
In my late teens it was Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.
Nowadays, my favorite series is Glen Cook's Black Company, and anything Steve Brust has written for Dragaera. My favorite roleplay-related book is Demon: The Fallen. I also like Bill Amend's Foxtrot and have all the treasuries.
Addendum: Also, White Fang by Jack London. I went through a phase of liking stuff set in the Arctic. (Which in turn reminds me of Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George, which leads me to discover that it was actually the first of a trilogy. Ooo...)
6. What was the last book you read?
Dzur by Steve Brust.
Next up is Old Man's War by John Scalzi. (Yes, finally getting around to reading something he wrote.)
7. Astrology: Menace to science education or entertainment?
Otherwise one could also claim that religion is a menace to science education. It all depends what people do with it.
8. Any tattoos and/or piercings? Explain where.
9. Worst habit?
Not enough exercise.
10. Best attribute?
My ability to resist peer pressure. -.-
Seriously: I don't believe that it's up to me to decide what my best attribute is. This is very much a case of "show, don't tell" in my opinion - I'll try to show you who I am, and you decide whether I'm loyal, empathic, or whatnot.
11. What are your favorite hobbies?
Hmm. Writing seems to be the main one at the moment. Also music, hopefully upcoming.
12. Do you have a negative or optimistic attitude?
I'm an optimist and always have been. In my teens it led me to realize that hope, not love, is the cruelest emotion. Then I became a cynical optimist for a while. But now I'm back to being an optimist.
13. What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
I'd watch you for cues on what you wanted to do. If you wanted to be quiet, I'd be quiet. If you wanted to engage in conversation, I'd try to oblige. If you wanted to climb out the roof and brave the wolves, well you might be on your own there.
14. Worst thing to ever happen to you?
Discovering myself pinned to my body.
15. Best thing to ever happen to you?
The shattering of reality. Which at the time sure felt like the worst thing, but then I rebuilt something stronger and better.
16. Tell me one weird fact about you.
No. :p This whole meme is about me telling stupid weird things, so you're just going to have to be satisfied with the other ones.
17. What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
Depends how long you stood there knocking. I might actually open the door if you were persistent enough. Otherwise I'd assume you were there to try to sell me something. If I did open the door, I'd probably look at you funny.
18. What was your first impression of me?
Since the first place I saw it was on Jim Wright's blog, I'll go with my first impression of him, which was "This guy is hilarious. I wish he had a blog." (This was a month or two before he started one.)
19. What scares you?
Dying a slow, painful death. Dying, not so much. But I don't want to go painfully.
EDIT: Upon further reflection - I fear dying more than I fear being dead. Also, death by drowning or asphyxiation more than any other kinds. I like breathing.
20. If you could change one thing about how you are, what would it be?
I'd add a ton of physical endurance. Somehow I suspect strength would naturally appear if I had the endurance first.
21. Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
Depends whether I agreed with it.
22. What color eyes do you have?
23. Ever been arrested? If so, what for?
24. Favorite dessert?
Well, in terms of western-style dessert-like items, I'd probably go for ice cream. As desserts in general, I prefer the end-of-meal orange slices that come in Chinese restaurants. And in general in general, I don't eat dessert. At home there's no point, and at restaurants they're overpriced and I'm usually too full.
25. If you won $1000 today, what would you do with it?
Well, considering that one month of living expenses is $1200, it wouldn't be very exciting...
26. Tell me something you want me to know about you.
I hate memes -.-
Also see #16.
27. What’s your favorite place to hang out?
28. Do you believe in ghosts? Aliens?
29. Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
30. Do you swear a lot?
Not generally in public. Within the confines of my own head, on the other hand, the words can really fly...
31. Biggest pet peeve?
People who talk me into doing memes.
32. In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33. Do you believe in/appreciate romance?
Yes, in the sense that I see other people being romantic and enjoying themselves at it.
I would probably appreciate it if anyone ever knew the right ways to approach me. Unfortunately, I don't follow the standard courtship scripts at all. I don't know how, nor do I want to learn parts that are completely unnatural and foreign to me. It's one of those brain wiring things that came with ... uh, the other brain wiring thing.
34. Most unusual place you’ve had sex?
Well, at least it wasn't under a turtle.
(which is an in-joke about my high school alma mater.)
35. Do you believe in an afterlife?
In the sense that there is more than nothingness beyond death, yes. In the sense of any versions of Heaven and/or Hell as defined by specific groups of people, no.
There. After all that, I hope you feel like you know me better.