17 March 2009

Quiescence

I have nothing to say.

I have lots to say, actually. I'm just not in the right frame of mind to organize my thoughts into anything coherent, that won't somehow manage to offend everyone left and right. I haven't been in a good frame of mind for almost a month now. Hence the silence, which is better than anything I might possibly say.

So instead, I'll just list everything I've been up to lately. Maybe it'll be an interesting read to someone somewhere.

1. Work

a) I'm making a database of every satellite image I've ever made. They date from late 1997 to present, and I've finished 2003 but haven't yet started 2004.

b) There's either something odd going on in the water off the southeast U.S. coast, or both satellites pointed at it are glitching in exactly the same way. Which is it? I'm assembling the overall big picture so that we can look at it and hopefully figure that out. This is taking a while.

2. Play

a) The RPoL chat community has become about twice as active as it used to be. First there was a keystone banning; suddenly, a slowly dying chat sprang back into full health and vibrancy overnight. Less than a week later, someone posted a thread in RPoL's community forum, asking about the chat - and for a while we were getting a dozen new visitors per day. That's settled down to 3-5 new regulars now, but it's still quite busy.

b) My favorite GM came back after a 5-month absence, restarted two of his games and made a third.

c) Mad Scientist on Facebook. T.T I have zombies, robots, a SkyCom AI, and a doomsday device. And I'm making more! It turns out that this particular game is the perfect speed for playing in between rounds of working, so I expect I'll be playing quite a lot.

3. Writing

a) Nonfiction is basically at a standstill (in case that wasn't obvious by observing my blog). I haven't written any new eHow articles either.

b) I've been putting a lot of work into Vengeance Returns. It's accumulating a few hundred words or so every other night. It turns out that midnight to dawn is an excellent time for writing. Unfortunately, this also means less sleep, which is probably contributing to the whole bad frame of mind thing.

That pretty much covers it, I think. How are you?

7 comments:

Megadeus said...

I'm freaking great. Just got back from a 3-day ski trip. Bought a new RPG book (Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game - want to play?). Girlfriend found my missing printer cable. DTV Converter Box coupon came in the mail. New laptop is coming (eventually!).

Things are going well for me.

Also, wanna play Mouse Guard? =D

MWT said...

Set it up on RPoL and I'll take a look. :D The rules would have to be pretty easy though - I suck at learning new systems.

Megadeus said...

Awesome. I'll set it up either:

A) When Zephyr gets back from her vacation, because she wants to play SO BADLY

or

B) When I get bored before then.

The system is pretty simple, especially if we use the writer's advice of using pregen characters for the first mission.

Anne C. said...

Hmmm... I have been very tempted by the Mad Scientist game. I've been playing several variations on the Wars (Mafia, Vampire, Pirates, Dragon) but am kinda getting bored of all of them except Mafia. It has a sufficient level of complexity and variation that keep it entertaining.

However, I may also try playing some PC games (Fallout 1-3) that a good friend loves, which would cut down on my FB time, which would be a good cord to cut.

Hmmm... but I could just try out Mad Scientist, you know, for "scientific" purposes... ;)

MWT said...

*deep ominous voice*

Aaaannnne.... join us... on the daaaark siiiiiide...

(hmm. It doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "Luuuuuke" but pretend it does. ;) )

Mad Scientist is way more entertaining than Vampires, Dragon Wars, and Pirates - and I'm kind of sorry I dragged you into the last two, I thought they'd be more fun than they were. But Mad Scientist is totally worth a look! :D

I've scaled back to just that one, Mafia and Packrat myself. The timesuck factor was getting way out of hand...

mattw said...

My laptop isn't drawing power at the moment, and I don't care for using Brandi's, so that's severly limiting online and writing time while at home.

I haven't really tried any games on facebook, maybe I will once I get the laptop situation straightened out.

Otherwise, I'm going nuts waiting to hear on a couple of work/home issues.

Hope your frame of mind takes an upswing soon.

MWT said...

I hope things work out well on the work/home issues, Matt. But you should probably just stay away from the Facebook games unless a whole lot more time suddenly opens up. ;)