11 July 2007

Country Western Music

A wise man once said, "To understand a people, study their art."

I listen to country-western music for exactly that reason. I live in a country where at least half the population I don't understand at all, and country-western music - the most popular genre of music in the United States - is their music.

It does sound pleasant. Mellow. The lyrics tend to tell stories rooted in very concrete and specific details - descriptions of actual real people, places, and things. Lyrics of modern alternative rock and metal tend to describe emotions and ideas in more abstract terms.

Anyway, some of my favorites so far (links from Youtube):

I Just Came Back From A War by Darryl Worley
Suds in the Bucket by Sara Evans
Watching You by Rodney Atkins
Twenty Years Ago (lyrics only) by Montgomery Gentry

No comments: