25 February 2008

Couscous Concoction

This is one of those meals I made in a "gee, I wonder what happens if..." fashion. I had half an onion and a plum tomato to use up, plus a bunch of other random things in the fridge. It came out well, so I thought I'd share.

half a cup corn
everything else diced to the same size pieces as the corn:
One carrot
Half an onion
One plum tomato
One medium-sized red potato

also:
one pint beef broth
one cup couscous
shredded sharp cheddar
freshly ground black pepper
one tablespoon corn oil

In a saucepan, fry in corn oil until softened:
carrot
onion
tomato
potato

Add beef broth right after mixing in the potato. Bring to boil. Add corn. Bring to boil again. Add couscous and black pepper. Cover and turn off heat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Serve with cheddar.

If I'd actually planned ahead, I would've started by frying up some diced bacon, then used its grease instead of the corn oil. Good quality ground pork probably would've worked well too.

No comments: